Apply for help to improve a home with no gas boiler (Home Upgrade Grant)

You could get free energy saving improvements made to your home if you:

  • are a homeowner in England
  • do not use a gas boiler as your main heating system

If you’re eligible, your local council will arrange a home survey to see how your home could be made more energy efficient. They might suggest improvements like installing:

  • wall, loft and underfloor insulation
  • air source heat pumps
  • electric radiators

Your local council will then organise and pay for any improvement work they’ve agreed with you. You will not need to pay for it.


To be eligible, you must:

  • own and live in the property you’re applying for
  • not use a gas boiler as your home’s main heating system
  • have an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G – if you do not know your home’s EPC you can find it out when you apply

You’ll usually need to have a household income of £31,000 a year or less. You might still be eligible even if you earn more than that in some postcode areas.